If you’ve recently completed a house painting project on the Gold Coast, you probably have leftover exterior paint that you don’t want to go to waste. Storing leftover paint properly is essential for future touch-ups, as it helps maintain the quality of the paint and ensures its longevity. In this article, we will guide you on how to properly store leftover exterior paint to guarantee its usability for years to come.
1. Clean and seal the paint can: Before storing the leftover paint, make sure the paint can is clean and free from any excess paint on the rim or lid. Use a clean cloth to wipe off any drips or splatters and allow it to dry completely. Once the can is clean, seal it tightly to prevent air from entering.
2. Keep the paint can in a cool and dry place: Extreme temperatures and moisture can affect the quality of the paint. Ideally, find a storage area that remains relatively cool and dry throughout the year, such as a basement or a garage. Avoid storing the paint in direct sunlight or near any heating or cooling appliances.
3. Store the paint can upside down: Storing the paint can upside down creates an airtight seal and prevents a skin from forming on the paint’s surface. Before flipping the can, ensure the lid is securely sealed to avoid any leakage. By storing the paint can upside down, you can extend its shelf life and make it easier to use in the future.
4. Label the paint can: To avoid any confusion, label the paint can with detailed information such as the paint color, date of purchase, and the room or area where it was used. This will help you quickly identify the paint when you’re looking for touch-ups down the line. Additionally, consider noting the brand and the type of paint used for easy reference.
5. Check the paint periodically: Although proper storage can prolong the life of leftover paint, it’s essential to periodically check on it to ensure its usability. Inspect the paint for any unusual smell, color changes, or lumps. If the paint appears separated or has an off-putting odor, it’s best to dispose of it.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your leftover exterior paint remains in good condition and is ready for future touch-ups. Properly storing your paint protects your investment, saves you money, and allows you to maintain the appearance of your Gold Coast home for years to come. Remember, taking a little extra time to store your paint properly will make a significant difference in its performance and save you from unnecessary hassle in the future.
Want to get more details?
With a combine experience and a good attitude, integra paint was created to fill a niche on the gold coast market. Our promise to you is to leave you with a smile after the painting job is over. We don’t believe in cutting corners because our reputation is more important than a couple of hrs. If color consultancy is your worry, we provide you with a free colour consultant at our paint shop.
For more information on house painting gold coast contact us anytime.