Indie games have always been a hit amongst gamers because of their uniqueness and creative gameplay design. This year was no different, and with the lockdowns and social distancing protocols in place, indie games provided an excellent means of entertainment. Here are the top 5 indie games of the year:
1. Hades – Developed by Supergiant Games, Hades is a rogue-like dungeon crawler set in Greek mythology. The game has won numerous awards for its stunning graphics, soundtrack, and engaging gameplay. Players take on the role of Zagreus, the son of Hades, as he tries to escape from the underworld. With tons of weapons, upgrades, and abilities to unlock, Hades has become one of the most addicting indie games of the year.
2. Among Us – Developed by Innersloth, Among Us became an instant viral sensation. The game is a murder mystery set in outer space, where players take on the roles of crewmates trying to identify and eliminate the imposters among them. With its easy-to-understand gameplay, hilarious animations, and addictive social playstyle, Among Us is a game that will keep you hooked for hours.
3. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout – Developed by Mediatonic, Fall Guys is a battle royale game that took the world by storm. Players compete in various mini-games, with the final survivor being crowned the winner. With its colorful design, goofy characters, and fun gameplay, Fall Guys quickly became one of the most popular indie games of the year. It’s perfect for a laid-back gaming session with friends or family.
4. Spiritfarer – Developed by Thunder Lotus Games, Spiritfarer is a cozy management game that explores the theme of death. Players take on the role of Stella, a ferry master who gives lost spirits a ride to the afterlife. With its hand-drawn art style, heartwarming characters, and emotional storytelling, Spiritfarer is a game that will tug at your heartstrings and provide a unique gaming experience.
5. Carrion – Developed by Phobia Game Studio, Carrion is a reverse horror game in which you play as a terrifying monster. Players take on the role of an amorphous creature that escapes from a research facility and goes on a rampage to exact revenge. With its gruesome visuals, physics-based gameplay, and unique perspective on horror, Carrion is definitely not for the faint-hearted.
In conclusion, these indie games have proven to be some of the best of the year, providing gamers with unique and enjoyable experiences. With the growth of the indie game scene, we can expect to see even more high-quality games in the future.